Lemon & Oregano Lamb Chops
Juicy lamb chops take a trip to the Middle East with a quick herb-and-lemon rub and a tangy cucumber-tahini sauce. Serve with couscous or rice pilaf and a green salad.
- Freshly grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/4 cup tahini (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1/4 cup diced seeded cucumber, peeled if desired
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine lemon zest, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture onto both sides of lamb chops and set aside for at least 10 minutes or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine tahini, yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk in enough water to thin the sauce to desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 135°F for medium-rare, 8 to 14 minutes, depending on thickness. Serve the chops with the tahini sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Prepare rub and rub onto lamb chops (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds. Look for it in large supermarkets in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters.
Per serving: 284 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Zinc (26% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern