Lemon & Oregano Lamb Chops
Juicy lamb chops take a trip to the Middle East with a quick herb-and-lemon rub and a tangy cucumber-tahini sauce. Serve with couscous or rice pilaf and a green salad.
- Freshly grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/4 cup tahini (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1/4 cup diced seeded cucumber, peeled if desired
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1-3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine lemon zest, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture onto both sides of lamb chops and set aside for at least 10 minutes or refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine tahini, yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk in enough water to thin the sauce to desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 135°F for medium-rare, 8 to 14 minutes, depending on thickness. Serve the chops with the tahini sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Prepare rub and rub onto lamb chops (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds. Look for it in large supermarkets in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters.
Per serving: 284 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Zinc (26% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation