Lemon Meringue Kisses
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
These tiny, lemon-flavored meringues must be cooked slowly so their outsides are powdery and crisp, while the insides are chewy and yielding. Serve with sorbet.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- Pinch salt
- 2/3 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar very slowly, beating well between additions, until egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets or pipe small kisses with a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip. Bake until dry but not brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the baking sheets.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per kiss: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1991