Lemon Meringue Kisses
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
These tiny, lemon-flavored meringues must be cooked slowly so their outsides are powdery and crisp, while the insides are chewy and yielding. Serve with sorbet.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- Pinch salt
- 2/3 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar very slowly, beating well between additions, until egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets or pipe small kisses with a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip. Bake until dry but not brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the baking sheets.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per kiss: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1991