Lemon Meringue Kisses
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
These tiny, lemon-flavored meringues must be cooked slowly so their outsides are powdery and crisp, while the insides are chewy and yielding. Serve with sorbet.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- Pinch salt
- 2/3 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar very slowly, beating well between additions, until egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets or pipe small kisses with a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip. Bake until dry but not brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the baking sheets.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per kiss: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- May/June 1991