Lemon Icebox Pie
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Eating this pie is almost like eating frozen lemonade in graham-cracker crust.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 9-inch reduced-fat graham cracker crust
- Mint leaves and lemon slices, for garnish
- Whisk eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in a heavy, medium, nonreactive saucepan until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. (Do not let mixture come to a simmer.) Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Stir in lemon zest. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours.
- Combine warm water, powdered egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl. Stir gently until egg whites are dissolved, about 2 minutes. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold chilled lemon mixture into beaten egg whites; fold in whipped cream. Pour filling into crust and smooth the top. Freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 1 hour. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours more.
- Soften pie in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and freeze the pie for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 219 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1998