Lemon Icebox Pie
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
Eating this pie is almost like eating frozen lemonade in graham-cracker crust.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 9-inch reduced-fat graham cracker crust
- Mint leaves and lemon slices, for garnish
- Whisk eggs and 2/3 cup sugar in a heavy, medium, nonreactive saucepan until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. (Do not let mixture come to a simmer.) Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Stir in lemon zest. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours.
- Combine warm water, powdered egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl. Stir gently until egg whites are dissolved, about 2 minutes. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold chilled lemon mixture into beaten egg whites; fold in whipped cream. Pour filling into crust and smooth the top. Freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 1 hour. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours more.
- Soften pie in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and freeze the pie for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 219 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1998