Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
We love how roasting brings out the sweet flavor of beets. Golden beets look especially pretty when tossed with the fresh herb and lemon seasoning mix, but any type of beets will work in this recipe. If you’re a lemon lover, be sure to add the squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the beets are roasted.
- 1 1/2 pounds golden or red beets, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or wedges
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as marjoram, oregano and/or rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.
Per serving: 118 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)