Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
We love how roasting brings out the sweet flavor of beets. Golden beets look especially pretty when tossed with the fresh herb and lemon seasoning mix, but any type of beets will work in this recipe. If you’re a lemon lover, be sure to add the squeeze of fresh lemon juice after the beets are roasted.
- 1 1/2 pounds golden or red beets, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or wedges
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as marjoram, oregano and/or rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
- Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.
Per serving: 118 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (46% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 Fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2009