Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Here's a healthy twist on shrimp scampi. We left out the butter and loaded the dish up with red peppers and asparagus for a refreshing spring meal. Serve with quinoa.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, asparagus, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk broth and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth and add to the pan along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly and the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve the shrimp and sauce over the vegetables.
Per serving: 227 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 4 g fiber; 514 mg sodium; 670 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (210% daily value), Vitamin A (80% dv), Folate (53% dv), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- March/April 2008