Lemon Dream Pie
Here we fill a light meringue pie shell with a tangy lemon filling and top it with fresh raspberries for a beautiful dessert.
Meringue Pie Shell
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- To make meringue pie shell: Position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 275°F. Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with foil, dull-side up. Lightly brush foil with oil.
- Beat 3 egg whites in a large, grease-free mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Gradually raise the speed to high and continue beating until the whites are frothy and opaque. Add cream of tartar and beat until the whites just begin to form soft peaks. Immediately begin adding sugar a bit at a time. Beat in vanilla. Continue to beat until the meringue stands in stiff, but not dry, peaks. Fold confectioners’ sugar into the meringue evenly.
- Spoon the meringue into the prepared pie pan and use the back of the spoon to hollow out the center and spread the mixture up the sides to form a pie shell.
- Bake for 1 hour. Lower the heat to 250°F and bake until the meringue is firm, dry and just beginning to brown, 30 to 40 minutes longer. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool thoroughly. Lift the meringue and foil away from the pie pan and gently peel off the aluminum foil. 5. To make lemon filling: Have a medium bowl ready. Whisk sugar, eggs, egg whites, lemon juice and lemon zest in a heavy saucepan, until well combined. Add butter and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened and bubbled several times, about 5 minutes. (The filling must be thoroughly thickened but not allowed to scramble.)
- Immediately transfer the filling to the bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- To assemble pie: Spoon the chilled lemon filling into the meringue shell and fill the center with fresh raspberries. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pie shell may be prepared and baked (through Step 4), cooled and placed in an airtight container and stored for up to 1 week. The filling (Steps 5 & 6) can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated until just before serving.
- Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature: Either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 206 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 175 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (37% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation