Lemon Chicken Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Spiked with lots of zesty lemon, this delectable chicken stir-fry has a colorful mix of snow peas, carrots and scallions. But feel free to substitute other thinly sliced vegetables, such as bell peppers or zucchini. Serve with: Rice noodles or brown rice.
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots, (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups snow peas, (6 ounces), stems and strings removed
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, white and green parts divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest and set aside. Juice the lemon and whisk 3 tablespoons of the juice with broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs. Add mushrooms and carrots to the pan and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add snow peas, scallion whites, garlic and the reserved lemon zest. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add to the pan; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallion greens and the chicken and any accumulated juices; cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 796 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2009