From EatingWell: July/August 1995
This luscious lemon cake is soaked with an equally luscious lemon syrup. Serve with Mango-Raspberry Compote.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus extra for dusting cake (optional)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Mango-Raspberry Compote (recipe follows)
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch Bundt pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Dust the pan with a little flour, shaking out the excess, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan until the butter turns light brown, about 60 seconds. Combine the butter, buttermilk and oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until thick and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Alternately fold the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the beaten eggs with a rubber spatula, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto the rack and set over a large baking sheet with sides. Let cool slightly.
- To make syrup: Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer or cake tester. While the cake is still warm, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly spoon the lemon syrup over the cake, spooning any syrup that accumulates on the pan below back over the cake.
- Shortly before serving, lightly dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve with Mango-Raspberry Compote.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6; store covered at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 213 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 77 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995