These updated lemon squares are sure to be the hit of any picnic or potluck. We've improved the shortbread crust by using white whole-wheat flour and a butter-canola oil blend to cut saturated fat. The velvety filling has fewer eggs and gets a flavor boost from freshly grated lemon zest.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter, oil and lemon zest until blended and crumbly. Press the dough in an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling: Whisk sugar, lemon zest and juice, egg, egg yolk and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour evenly over the hot crust.
- Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, at least 2 hours. Cut into squares with a lightly oiled knife. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 126 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 23 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Diabetes appropriate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique