These updated lemon squares are sure to be the hit of any picnic or potluck. We've improved the shortbread crust by using white whole-wheat flour and a butter-canola oil blend to cut saturated fat. The velvety filling has fewer eggs and gets a flavor boost from freshly grated lemon zest.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter, oil and lemon zest until blended and crumbly. Press the dough in an even layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling: Whisk sugar, lemon zest and juice, egg, egg yolk and flour in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour evenly over the hot crust.
- Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, at least 2 hours. Cut into squares with a lightly oiled knife. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 126 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 23 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Diabetes appropriate