Leek, Potato & Spinach Stew
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Vary what’s in the stew according to the weekly bounty. Serve with: Crusty whole-wheat baguette spread with goat cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (6-7 ounces), casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 leeks), white and light green parts only, rinsed well
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound new or small potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces spinach, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, preferably no-salt-added, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chervil, chives and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach and scallions and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in beans. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each portion with herbs.
Per serving: 251 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2010