Leek, Potato & Spinach Stew
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Vary what’s in the stew according to the weekly bounty. Serve with: Crusty whole-wheat baguette spread with goat cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (6-7 ounces), casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 leeks), white and light green parts only, rinsed well
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound new or small potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces spinach, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, preferably no-salt-added, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chervil, chives and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach and scallions and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in beans. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each portion with herbs.
Per serving: 251 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2010