Leek, Potato & Spinach Stew
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Vary what’s in the stew according to the weekly bounty. Serve with: Crusty whole-wheat baguette spread with goat cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (6-7 ounces), casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 leeks), white and light green parts only, rinsed well
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound new or small potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces spinach, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, preferably no-salt-added, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chervil, chives and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach and scallions and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in beans. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each portion with herbs.
Per serving: 251 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2010