Leek, Potato & Spinach Stew
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Vary what’s in the stew according to the weekly bounty. Serve with: Crusty whole-wheat baguette spread with goat cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (6-7 ounces), casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 leeks), white and light green parts only, rinsed well
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound new or small potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces spinach, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, preferably no-salt-added, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chervil, chives and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach and scallions and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in beans. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each portion with herbs.
Per serving: 251 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2010