Leek, Potato & Spinach Stew
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Vary what’s in the stew according to the weekly bounty. Serve with: Crusty whole-wheat baguette spread with goat cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (6-7 ounces), casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks (about 2 leeks), white and light green parts only, rinsed well
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound new or small potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces spinach, stemmed and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, preferably no-salt-added, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chervil, chives and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and salt and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add wine, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in spinach and scallions and cook, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in beans. Cover and let stand for 1 minute. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each portion with herbs.
Per serving: 251 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 956 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Iron (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2010