Leek & Potato Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Our lightened version of classic potato-leek soup uses just a touch of reduced-fat sour cream to make it rich and creamy.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 pounds all-purpose potatoes, (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or stockpot over low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook for 2 minutes more. Pour in broth, increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup through a strainer set over a large bowl. Puree the leeks in a food processor or blender until smooth, adding some the broth if necessary. Return the puree and broth to the saucepan. Add potatoes and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash the potatoes thoroughly with a potato masher.
- Stir in sour cream, salt and pepper. Return to low heat and heat until hot, but not boiling. Serve hot or chilled.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994