Leek & Gruyere Quiche
This vegetarian tart would be a nice main dish for a shower or brunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces leeks, white and light green part only, washed thoroughly and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free, or low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese, (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- To make crust: Position rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook butter, swirling the pan, for about 30 seconds, or until it is a light nutty brown. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in canola oil.
- Whisk flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until it is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water for the dough to hold together. Gather the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Roll into a 12-inch circle. Remove the top plastic sheet and invert dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the remaining plastic. Fold edges under at the rim and crimp.
- Line the dough with a piece of foil or parchment paper large enough to lift out easily; fill evenly with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or just until lightly browned. (The crust will not be fully baked.) Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- To make filling: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft and wilted, 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add evaporated milk, fat-free or low-fat milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne, stirring gently to avoid creating bubbles.
- To assemble & bake quiche: Spread mustard over the bottom of the prebaked crust; sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Top with Gruyère, then the cooked leeks. Carefully pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until just set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Per serving: 241 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)