Lean & Spicy Taco Meat
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
A combination of lean ground beef and ultra-lean ground turkey breast makes a less-greasy filling. Bypass taco-seasoning packets in favor of making your own full-flavored filling.
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces 99%-lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, preferably Rotel brand (see Tip), or 1 1/4 cups petite-diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place beef, turkey and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain off fat. Wipe out the pan. Return the meat to the pan and add tomatoes, cumin, ground chipotle (or chili powder) and oregano. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 6 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat just before serving.
- Tip: Look for Rotel brand diced tomatoes with green chiles—original or mild, depending on your spice preference—and set the heat level with either ground chipotle chile (adds smoky heat) or chili powder (adds rich chili taste without extra spice).
Per serving: 98 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007