Lean & Spicy Taco Meat
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
A combination of lean ground beef and ultra-lean ground turkey breast makes a less-greasy filling. Bypass taco-seasoning packets in favor of making your own full-flavored filling.
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces 99%-lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, preferably Rotel brand (see Tip), or 1 1/4 cups petite-diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place beef, turkey and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain off fat. Wipe out the pan. Return the meat to the pan and add tomatoes, cumin, ground chipotle (or chili powder) and oregano. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 6 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat just before serving.
- Tip: Look for Rotel brand diced tomatoes with green chiles—original or mild, depending on your spice preference—and set the heat level with either ground chipotle chile (adds smoky heat) or chili powder (adds rich chili taste without extra spice).
Per serving: 98 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 1 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007