From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash make attractive pickles.
- 1 pound zucchini, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon pickling salt, divided (see Note)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 2 tablespoons salt and ice in a large bowl. Place a plate on the vegetables and weight it with a 5-pound object, such as a bag of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, crushed red pepper, drained vegetables and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pickling salt, also called canning salt, produces a clear brine. Do not substitute any other salt.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1998