From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash make attractive pickles.
- 1 pound zucchini, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon pickling salt, divided (see Note)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 2 tablespoons salt and ice in a large bowl. Place a plate on the vegetables and weight it with a 5-pound object, such as a bag of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, crushed red pepper, drained vegetables and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pickling salt, also called canning salt, produces a clear brine. Do not substitute any other salt.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1998