From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash make attractive pickles.
- 1 pound zucchini, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon pickling salt, divided (see Note)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 2 tablespoons salt and ice in a large bowl. Place a plate on the vegetables and weight it with a 5-pound object, such as a bag of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, crushed red pepper, drained vegetables and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pickling salt, also called canning salt, produces a clear brine. Do not substitute any other salt.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 1998