From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash make attractive pickles.
- 1 pound zucchini, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon pickling salt, divided (see Note)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 2 tablespoons salt and ice in a large bowl. Place a plate on the vegetables and weight it with a 5-pound object, such as a bag of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, crushed red pepper, drained vegetables and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pickling salt, also called canning salt, produces a clear brine. Do not substitute any other salt.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 1998