From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash make attractive pickles.
- 1 pound zucchini, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, (2 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon pickling salt, divided (see Note)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine zucchini, squash, onions, 2 tablespoons salt and ice in a large bowl. Place a plate on the vegetables and weight it with a 5-pound object, such as a bag of sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, mustard seeds, cloves, turmeric, cinnamon stick, celery seeds, crushed red pepper, drained vegetables and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a 2-quart glass or ceramic bowl or jar. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days to allow flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pickling salt, also called canning salt, produces a clear brine. Do not substitute any other salt.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 1998