8-Layer Taco Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This gorgeous and colorful 8-layer taco salad recipe is made healthier by using ground turkey in place of beef, adding Greek yogurt and bumping up the amount of vegetables. Serve this salad in a clear glass bowl and you’ll have an eye-catching party-worthy dinner or potluck side in just 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 5 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado, yogurt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Transfer the turkey and any juice from the pan to a serving bowl. Layer chips, salsa, beans and lettuce over the turkey. Spread the avocado mixture over the lettuce. Top with cheese, then tomato.
Per serving: 383 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 8 g fiber; 630 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2013