Lamb Chops with Mashed Peas & Mint
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Peas and lamb are a natural pairing. Here pan-roasted lamb chops are served with mashed peas seasoned with mint. Serve with bulgur tossed with chopped scallion greens, a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas (12 ounces), thawed
- 3/4 cup water, plus more as needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 1/2-2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and slightly softened, about 1 minute. Stir in peas, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper on both sides of lamb chops. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large, ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops and cook until browned on one side, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 135°F for medium-rare, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Meanwhile, transfer the pea mixture to a blender or food processor. Add mint; pulse until coarsely pureed, adding additional water a tablespoon at a time for desired consistency and scraping down the sides as needed.
- Serve the lamb with the pea puree.
Per serving: 267 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 590 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv). Zinc (25% dv), Iron (17% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012