Lamb Kafta Pockets
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
These Middle Eastern-style meatballs are best wrapped in a warm pita pocket, with plenty of shredded lettuce and slivered red onion and, of course, some the sweet-and-tangy sauce.
- 6 dried apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 whole-wheat pitas, sliced open on top and toasted
- To prepare apricot sauce: Combine apricots and orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High until bubbling, about 1 minute. Set aside to soften for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricot mixture to a food processor or blender. Add mint, water and vinegar; puree until smooth.
- To prepare lamb kafta: Place couscous in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over it and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add lamb, parsley, garlic, salt and allspice to the couscous and knead until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Form into 6 balls of equal size.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the meatballs and cook, turning often to prevent scorching, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup water into the skillet, cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. Serve the meatballs inside pitas topped with the apricot sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance.
Per serving: 439 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 11 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 644 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- EatingWell Serves Two