Lamb Kafta Pockets
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
These Middle Eastern-style meatballs are best wrapped in a warm pita pocket, with plenty of shredded lettuce and slivered red onion and, of course, some the sweet-and-tangy sauce.
- 6 dried apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 whole-wheat pitas, sliced open on top and toasted
- To prepare apricot sauce: Combine apricots and orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High until bubbling, about 1 minute. Set aside to soften for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricot mixture to a food processor or blender. Add mint, water and vinegar; puree until smooth.
- To prepare lamb kafta: Place couscous in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over it and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add lamb, parsley, garlic, salt and allspice to the couscous and knead until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Form into 6 balls of equal size.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the meatballs and cook, turning often to prevent scorching, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup water into the skillet, cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. Serve the meatballs inside pitas topped with the apricot sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance.
Per serving: 439 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 11 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 644 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- Make ahead instructions
- EatingWell Serves Two