Lamb Kafta Pockets
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
These Middle Eastern-style meatballs are best wrapped in a warm pita pocket, with plenty of shredded lettuce and slivered red onion and, of course, some the sweet-and-tangy sauce.
- 6 dried apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 whole-wheat pitas, sliced open on top and toasted
- To prepare apricot sauce: Combine apricots and orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High until bubbling, about 1 minute. Set aside to soften for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricot mixture to a food processor or blender. Add mint, water and vinegar; puree until smooth.
- To prepare lamb kafta: Place couscous in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over it and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add lamb, parsley, garlic, salt and allspice to the couscous and knead until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Form into 6 balls of equal size.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the meatballs and cook, turning often to prevent scorching, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup water into the skillet, cover and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. Serve the meatballs inside pitas topped with the apricot sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance.
Per serving: 439 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 11 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 644 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Super Bowl
- Make ahead instructions
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell Serves Two