Lamb & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Lamb and eggplant are combined in dishes throughout the Mediterranean. Together they deliver a complex, hearty, earthy flavor that's truly satisfying. In this dish, toasted pine nuts and tangy feta cheese are excellent accents.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 4 ounces ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef), garlic and fennel seed in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until the lamb (or beef) is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 10 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- EatingWell Serves Two