Lamb & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Lamb and eggplant are combined in dishes throughout the Mediterranean. Together they deliver a complex, hearty, earthy flavor that's truly satisfying. In this dish, toasted pine nuts and tangy feta cheese are excellent accents.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 4 ounces ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef), garlic and fennel seed in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until the lamb (or beef) is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 10 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)