Lamb & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Lamb and eggplant are combined in dishes throughout the Mediterranean. Together they deliver a complex, hearty, earthy flavor that's truly satisfying. In this dish, toasted pine nuts and tangy feta cheese are excellent accents.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 4 ounces ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef), garlic and fennel seed in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until the lamb (or beef) is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 10 g fiber; 343 mg sodium; 795 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two