Lamb Chops with Mint Pan Sauce
Lamb with mint jelly is a tried-and-true combination and this recipe takes the idea to new heights. The sweet, shocking green jelly is transformed into a richly flavored and pleasingly dark sauce. Make It a Meal: Serve with whole-wheat couscous and peas.
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 lamb loin chops, trimmed of fat (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mint jelly
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine apple juice and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Sprinkle lamb chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 140°F for medium-rare, 6 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. Transfer the chops to a plate and tent with foil.
- Place the skillet over medium-high heat (take care, the handle will still be hot). Add shallot and cook, stirring constantly, until browned and softened, about 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar and jelly and bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve the jelly. Cook, whisking constantly, until the liquid has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture; add to the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in half the mint along with any accumulated juices from the chops. Serve the chops topped with the sauce and the remaining mint.
Per serving: 302 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carb., 5 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient