Lamb Chops with Beer & Mustard Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Dark beers are too, well, dark for this sauce. Try a lager instead. Make it a meal: Warm Apple-Cabbage Slaw and Oven-Crisped Potato Latkes round out this meal.
- 8 lamb rib chops, about 3 ounces each, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 12-ounce bottle bottle beer, divided
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub lamb chops with one of the garlic halves, then brush the chops lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and brown well on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a small ovenproof dish and roast until desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, pour beef broth and 1 cup of the beer into the pan; stir in molasses and the remaining garlic. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove garlic and stir in mustard.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons beer (the rest of the beer is for the cook) in a small bowl. Add to the sauce in the pan and whisk until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ireland's biggest-selling export beer—Guinness Stout—is too dark for this sauce. Try an Irish lager, such as Harp.
Per serving: 238 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 270 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (35% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996