Lamb Chops with Beer & Mustard Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Dark beers are too, well, dark for this sauce. Try a lager instead. Make it a meal: Warm Apple-Cabbage Slaw and Oven-Crisped Potato Latkes round out this meal.
- 8 lamb rib chops, about 3 ounces each, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 12-ounce bottle bottle beer, divided
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub lamb chops with one of the garlic halves, then brush the chops lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and brown well on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a small ovenproof dish and roast until desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, pour beef broth and 1 cup of the beer into the pan; stir in molasses and the remaining garlic. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove garlic and stir in mustard.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons beer (the rest of the beer is for the cook) in a small bowl. Add to the sauce in the pan and whisk until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ireland's biggest-selling export beer—Guinness Stout—is too dark for this sauce. Try an Irish lager, such as Harp.
Per serving: 238 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 270 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (35% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996