Lamb Chops with Beer & Mustard Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Dark beers are too, well, dark for this sauce. Try a lager instead. Make it a meal: Warm Apple-Cabbage Slaw and Oven-Crisped Potato Latkes round out this meal.
- 8 lamb rib chops, about 3 ounces each, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 12-ounce bottle bottle beer, divided
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub lamb chops with one of the garlic halves, then brush the chops lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and brown well on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a small ovenproof dish and roast until desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, pour beef broth and 1 cup of the beer into the pan; stir in molasses and the remaining garlic. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove garlic and stir in mustard.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons beer (the rest of the beer is for the cook) in a small bowl. Add to the sauce in the pan and whisk until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ireland's biggest-selling export beer—Guinness Stout—is too dark for this sauce. Try an Irish lager, such as Harp.
Per serving: 238 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 270 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (35% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- March/April 1996