Lamb Chops with a Balsamic-Vinegar Pan Sauce
Serve with RÃ¶sti Potatoes and a mixed green salad.
- 4 6-ounce lamb loin chops, or eight 4-ounce rib chops, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rub lamb well with cut sides of 1 garlic clove; discard garlic. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary, salt and pepper; rub in 1 teaspoon oil. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the second garlic clove and lamb chops. (If using rib chops, it may be necessary to sear them in batches. Do not wipe the pan clean between batches.) Sear the lamb on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 1 minute; reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the second side is golden brown and the center is still slightly pink. Transfer the lamb to a platter and keep warm.
- Spoon away any excess fat, leaving the browned bits in the bottom, and return the pan (with garlic halves) to high heat. Add vinegar and bring to a boil, scraping the pan for browned bits. Stir in broth, rosemary sprig and bay leaf; boil until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the garlic, rosemary sprig and bay leaf, then season the sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon over the lamb and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the lamb (Step 1) up to 1 day in advance.
Per serving: 186 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 0 g fiber; 369 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation