Lamb Chops with a Balsamic-Vinegar Pan Sauce
Serve with RÃ¶sti Potatoes and a mixed green salad.
- 4 6-ounce lamb loin chops, or eight 4-ounce rib chops, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rub lamb well with cut sides of 1 garlic clove; discard garlic. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary, salt and pepper; rub in 1 teaspoon oil. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the second garlic clove and lamb chops. (If using rib chops, it may be necessary to sear them in batches. Do not wipe the pan clean between batches.) Sear the lamb on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 1 minute; reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the second side is golden brown and the center is still slightly pink. Transfer the lamb to a platter and keep warm.
- Spoon away any excess fat, leaving the browned bits in the bottom, and return the pan (with garlic halves) to high heat. Add vinegar and bring to a boil, scraping the pan for browned bits. Stir in broth, rosemary sprig and bay leaf; boil until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the garlic, rosemary sprig and bay leaf, then season the sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon over the lamb and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the lamb (Step 1) up to 1 day in advance.
Per serving: 186 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 0 g fiber; 369 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Zinc (20% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient