Lamb & Chickpea Chili for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This spicy chili for two has a North African spin with lamb, cinnamon and harissa. If you can’t find harissa, use mild chili powder in its place. You can turn up the heat with a little cayenne or hot sauce if you like it spicy. Serve with whole-wheat pita bread and tabbouleh.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see Note) or 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
Per serving: 328 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011