Lamb & Chickpea Chili for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This spicy chili for two has a North African spin with lamb, cinnamon and harissa. If you can’t find harissa, use mild chili powder in its place. You can turn up the heat with a little cayenne or hot sauce if you like it spicy. Serve with whole-wheat pita bread and tabbouleh.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see Note) or 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
Per serving: 328 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011