Lamb & Chickpea Chili for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This spicy chili for two has a North African spin with lamb, cinnamon and harissa. If you can’t find harissa, use mild chili powder in its place. You can turn up the heat with a little cayenne or hot sauce if you like it spicy. Serve with whole-wheat pita bread and tabbouleh.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see Note) or 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
Per serving: 328 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011