Lamb & Chickpea Chili for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This spicy chili for two has a North African spin with lamb, cinnamon and harissa. If you can’t find harissa, use mild chili powder in its place. You can turn up the heat with a little cayenne or hot sauce if you like it spicy. Serve with whole-wheat pita bread and tabbouleh.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces ground lamb
- 4 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa (see Note) or 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
Per serving: 328 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 8 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (108% daily value), Vitamin A (48% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011