Lamb & Bulgur Loaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Bulgur and lamb are flavored with mint and cumin in a Middle Eastern twist on meatloaf.
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Tart Tomato Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and return to bowl. Add lamb, onion, egg, garlic, mint, salt, cumin and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Spread with 2 tablespoons Tart Tomato Sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160°F, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with remaining sauce.
Per serving: 203 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), iron & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998