Lamb & Bulgur Loaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Bulgur and lamb are flavored with mint and cumin in a Middle Eastern twist on meatloaf.
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Tart Tomato Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and return to bowl. Add lamb, onion, egg, garlic, mint, salt, cumin and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Spread with 2 tablespoons Tart Tomato Sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160°F, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with remaining sauce.
Per serving: 203 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), iron & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Middle Eastern
- January/February 1998