Lamb & Bulgur Loaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Bulgur and lamb are flavored with mint and cumin in a Middle Eastern twist on meatloaf.
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Tart Tomato Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and return to bowl. Add lamb, onion, egg, garlic, mint, salt, cumin and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Spread with 2 tablespoons Tart Tomato Sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160°F, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with remaining sauce.
Per serving: 203 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), iron & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)