Lamb & Bulgur Loaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Bulgur and lamb are flavored with mint and cumin in a Middle Eastern twist on meatloaf.
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Tart Tomato Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and return to bowl. Add lamb, onion, egg, garlic, mint, salt, cumin and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Spread with 2 tablespoons Tart Tomato Sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 160°F, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with remaining sauce.
Per serving: 203 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 475 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), iron & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998