From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you have a large Middle Eastern population in your area, you might actually find squash called kusa (or cusa) or tatuma in your market. Sauté the leftover zucchini with some chopped onion and tomato for a delicious omelet filling.
- 8 6-inch-long zucchini, (about 3 pounds), ends trimmed
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons dried marjoram, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried mint, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce, preferably chunky
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Hollow out each zucchini using a zucchini corer or small, flexible paring knife, leaving 1/8-inch-thick walls.
- Combine lamb, rice, 1 1/4 teaspoons marjoram, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon mint, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Loosely stuff each zucchini with the lamb mixture. Place the stuffed zucchini in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Combine tomato sauce with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon mint and 1/8 teaspoon allspice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the zucchini. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake, turning the zucchini halfway through cooking, until the zucchini and rice are tender and the filling reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve the zucchini with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To hollow out the squash you will need to use a flexible paring knife or the tool that is designed just for the task: a zucchini corer. Fine one online at lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 390 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 742 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- May/June 2007