From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you have a large Middle Eastern population in your area, you might actually find squash called kusa (or cusa) or tatuma in your market. Sauté the leftover zucchini with some chopped onion and tomato for a delicious omelet filling.
- 8 6-inch-long zucchini, (about 3 pounds), ends trimmed
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons dried marjoram, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried mint, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce, preferably chunky
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Hollow out each zucchini using a zucchini corer or small, flexible paring knife, leaving 1/8-inch-thick walls.
- Combine lamb, rice, 1 1/4 teaspoons marjoram, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon mint, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Loosely stuff each zucchini with the lamb mixture. Place the stuffed zucchini in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Combine tomato sauce with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon mint and 1/8 teaspoon allspice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the zucchini. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake, turning the zucchini halfway through cooking, until the zucchini and rice are tender and the filling reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve the zucchini with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To hollow out the squash you will need to use a flexible paring knife or the tool that is designed just for the task: a zucchini corer. Fine one online at lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 390 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 742 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007