From EatingWell: May/June 2007
If you have a large Middle Eastern population in your area, you might actually find squash called kusa (or cusa) or tatuma in your market. Sauté the leftover zucchini with some chopped onion and tomato for a delicious omelet filling.
- 8 6-inch-long zucchini, (about 3 pounds), ends trimmed
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons dried marjoram, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried mint, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce, preferably chunky
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Hollow out each zucchini using a zucchini corer or small, flexible paring knife, leaving 1/8-inch-thick walls.
- Combine lamb, rice, 1 1/4 teaspoons marjoram, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon mint, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Loosely stuff each zucchini with the lamb mixture. Place the stuffed zucchini in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Combine tomato sauce with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon mint and 1/8 teaspoon allspice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the zucchini. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake, turning the zucchini halfway through cooking, until the zucchini and rice are tender and the filling reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve the zucchini with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To hollow out the squash you will need to use a flexible paring knife or the tool that is designed just for the task: a zucchini corer. Fine one online at lebaneseproducts.com.
Per serving: 390 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber; 724 mg sodium; 742 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007