Kumquats in Vanilla Syrup
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
The flesh, rind and seeds of kumquats are edible. Although the preserves are delicious on their own as a simple dessert, you can serve them as an accompaniment to fruit sorbet or use them to enliven a compote of fresh oranges.
- 2 pounds firm kumquats
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- Thoroughly scrub kumquats with warm water. Trim stem ends. To prevent the kumquats from bursting during cooking, pierce them with the point of a sharp knife in several places. Place the kumquats in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Combine sugar and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the blanched kumquats, return the liquid to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the kumquats from the syrup with a slotted spoon and divided among four 1-pint sterilized preserving jars. Add 1/4 cup brandy to each jar, then pour in enough of the hot syrup to fill the jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Tuck a vanilla bean half into each jar and close the lid.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 85 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993