Kumquats in Vanilla Syrup
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
The flesh, rind and seeds of kumquats are edible. Although the preserves are delicious on their own as a simple dessert, you can serve them as an accompaniment to fruit sorbet or use them to enliven a compote of fresh oranges.
- 2 pounds firm kumquats
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- Thoroughly scrub kumquats with warm water. Trim stem ends. To prevent the kumquats from bursting during cooking, pierce them with the point of a sharp knife in several places. Place the kumquats in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Combine sugar and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the blanched kumquats, return the liquid to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the kumquats from the syrup with a slotted spoon and divided among four 1-pint sterilized preserving jars. Add 1/4 cup brandy to each jar, then pour in enough of the hot syrup to fill the jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Tuck a vanilla bean half into each jar and close the lid.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 85 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993