Kumquats in Vanilla Syrup
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
The flesh, rind and seeds of kumquats are edible. Although the preserves are delicious on their own as a simple dessert, you can serve them as an accompaniment to fruit sorbet or use them to enliven a compote of fresh oranges.
- 2 pounds firm kumquats
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- Thoroughly scrub kumquats with warm water. Trim stem ends. To prevent the kumquats from bursting during cooking, pierce them with the point of a sharp knife in several places. Place the kumquats in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Combine sugar and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the blanched kumquats, return the liquid to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the kumquats from the syrup with a slotted spoon and divided among four 1-pint sterilized preserving jars. Add 1/4 cup brandy to each jar, then pour in enough of the hot syrup to fill the jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Tuck a vanilla bean half into each jar and close the lid.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the jars in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 85 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1993