From EatingWell: January/February 2007
A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it's quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats, seeded (see Tip) and roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To seed a kumquat, cut lengthwise, then remove the few seeds with the knife tip or your finger.
Per serving: 391 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 8 g fiber; 490 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (32% dv), Selenium (27% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2007