From EatingWell: January/February 2007
A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it's quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats, seeded (see Tip) and roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To seed a kumquat, cut lengthwise, then remove the few seeds with the knife tip or your finger.
Per serving: 391 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 8 g fiber; 490 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (32% dv), Selenium (27% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)